Login | Sign Up
MOFGA Discussion Forums
Sweet Potato Roots on Hold
Last Post 15 May 2010 09:52 PM by Dragonfly Hill Farm. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.
Author Messages
Seed
Seed
Dragonfly Hill Farm

--
12 May 2010 08:33 PM  
I had my sweet potato roots delivered to me down below in Mass(where I am for a few weeks, due to graduating offspring). As advertised they look pretty scraggly - so no surprise there. I put them in a jar of water and hope to hold them until I get back up north to plant them. As I understand it, they can't go in the ground until the second week in June anyway. My question is: what is the best way to nurture them in the meantime. Is the water jar OK?
Seed
Seed
Lone Moose Farm

--
13 May 2010 03:28 PM  
concern on this one is mold and rot. two things that are unknown factors are how many roots you have to hold in stasis and for how long. i have never had to hold sweet potato roots but have held other roots for many weeks until planting. i've done it 2 ways. leaving them in their original shipping materials (usually shredded, wet, newspaper and plastic wrapping) and rewetting them while ensuring they are stored at about 60 degrees and indirect light. or heeling them in (planting them very shallow and at a sharp angle) in a temporary pot or frame. again, keeping them damp and lively at about 60 degrees and indirect light... i don't like the jar of water idea. wrapping in shredded wet paper or heeling them into soil seems more like a natural way to support them until they get in the ground...
Seed
Seed
Dragonfly Hill Farm

--
13 May 2010 10:34 PM  
Thank you so much Lone Moose - I will heel them in tomorrow. Exactly the guidance I was looking for!
Seed
Seed
Lone Moose Farm

--
14 May 2010 08:34 PM  
and in a coincidental closing - just received a couple dozen trees/shrubs today that i just rewet in their shipping packaging until tomorrow... good luck with your potatos...
Seed
Seed
Lone Moose Farm

--
14 May 2010 08:36 PM  
and in a coincidental closing - just received a couple dozen trees/shrubs today that i rewet in their shipping packaging until tomorrow... good luck with your potatos... oh - i don't know about sweet potato roots - and it prob depends on how moist you have been able to keep them - but a 2 or 3 hour root soak in water just before you plant them is a good idea for most transplants and if you see any obvious damaged or dead or rotted root tips, prob wanna snip off just the obvious damaged portion before planting...
Seed
Seed
Dragonfly Hill Farm

--
15 May 2010 09:52 PM  
Awesome - I will do that - this is all just a little 12-plant experiment this year, so no worries.
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.

Active Forums 4.1

Copyright © 2017 Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association Terms Of Use Privacy Statement    Site by Planet Maine