Login | Sign Up
MOFGA Discussion Forums
Hitzer Model 82F Coal and Wood Hot Air Furnace
Last Post 12 Jan 2014 09:53 AM by reality check. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.
Author Messages
Seed
Seed
Mitchel Mountain Farm

--
06 Nov 2013 12:40 PM  
I have a Hitzer model 82F coal and wood hot air furnace that I'd like to sell. It was used once. I'm selling it because of chimney related problems that prohibit me from safely using the stove. It comes with blower and filter box, and sections of barely used galvanized stove pipe. Original price was around $2,000. I'm selling it for $800. 207-694-3851. The stove is located in Houlton.
Seed
Seed
reality check

--
08 Jan 2014 08:56 AM  
Just an FYI- what you experienced with that Hitzer 82 stove, is most likely a common problem, that many have had with the Hitzer models 75 and 82 coal/wood stoves, the DC Machine Riteburn, and the old Riteway model 37. They are all the same design and knock-offs of the Riteway M37 that was invented back in the 1970's. It has a direct and indirect draft flap in the top, and 2 flue exits- one at mid-level, another at the top side. The stove doesn't work all that well sometimes, unless you have a vicious chimney draft to pull the air through it, and keep the firing burning. Those stoves were nowhere near airtight, and leaked a lot of air past the fire as secondary air. What happened was, there was not enough air to support the fire then.

The fix is, burn the stove in the direct draft mode only, using the top outlet. This would be with the handle in the up position. People who have them and get them to actually heat well, use the direct draft only, or only partially close it half way.

There is an informative thread posted about that stove design, you can see it here.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/riteway-hitzer-dc-machine-coal-wood-stove-design.121426/

another thing you might consider, is returning it to the vendor who sold it to you, for a refund. but if you end up having to keep it, burn it in direct draft mode. it will burn better. block the fixed drilled secondary air vent holes in the side flue, they are located under a flat sheetmetal cover. it will get stronger draft and burn better and heat better.

the design has a some issues. if they were addressed properly it would burn well, as it has a large firebox capacity. unfortunately these companies today just copied the old design warts and all, so they passed the quirks and defects on to the present new stove lines as well.
Seed
Seed
Mitchel Mountain Farm

--
08 Jan 2014 10:52 AM  
Thank you for your interesting comments and information about the Hitzer model 82F. I've since sold the stove and have bought two used Crane stoves, a model 44 and a model 404. Both burn wood or coal. The 404 hasn't yet been installed in the fireplace opening but the 44 has been in use in my basement for about 6 weeks now.

Since selling the Hitzer I've come to find out about a great anthracite coal forum at http://nepacrossroads.com/. I've learned so much about burning coal by reading the various posts and by becoming a member and posting my own questions. It's an amazing resource. One of the things I learned from the forum is that the coal I was using with the Hitzer was not good burning coal. I learned this after I had sold the Hitzer. I tried burning the same coal in the Crane 44 and it never got hot enough. The same happened in the Hitzer. When I switched to Blaschak coal I was able to get a nice hot fire.

In my initial MOFGA post I said my chimney had safety issues that prohibited me from using the Hitzer. Since then I've come to realize that my chimney, although it didn't meet code, was safe enough to burn coal. I was able to come to this conclusion from questions I posted on the forum and from reading older topics.

So I am burning coal now in addition to the oil fired boiler that was the main source of heat for my house. When I move from this house this year, I will be taking the two Crane stoves with me and saying goodbye to home heating fuel oil.
Seed
Seed
reality check

--
12 Jan 2014 09:53 AM  
it's good you sold the Hitzer and got something else. be careful on NEPA crossroads. there is some good information there, but a lot of MIS-information too. the majority of the coal burners there really don't know what they are doing. they tend to recommend the products they have been conned into buying from local dealers, or local shops. for one thing, don't put a baro damper on a hand fired coal stove. many on NEPA do that, it's a mistake. another issue is, there is a core group on NEPA that tend to push a newbie coal heater into buying a vintage antique stove. that would be a huge mistake. there are a few on there who speculate in these old stoves and sell 6-10 of them a year. they buy them for a few hundred or less, then sell them at a huge profit. beware. an antique stove needs a ton of work to make it safe and reliable. they also are not airtight or as efficient as a newer stove. good luck with the installation and heating.
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.

Active Forums 4.1

Copyright © 2013 Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association Terms Of Use Privacy Statement    Site by Planet Maine