Point Lookout Greenhouse Manager, Northport, Maine.
Job Summary: A full time Greenhouse management position to begin March 1, 2013. The Greenhouse Manager will be responsible for overall management of Point Lookout’s Greenhouse operations from soil preparation and growing seedlings, through quality organic vegetable production, and finally to harvesting and distribution. The Greenhouse Manager will guide this new operation to be a successful, productive, functional and attractive food production system within the framework of the Point Lookout Resort and Conference Center. The Point Lookout Farm includes (2) movable 30’x48’ high tunnels and (1) 30’x48’ nursery/plant house for seedling production. The ideal candidate should have a college degree and several years of vegetable growing experience, in particular, organic four-season greenhouse vegetable production.
• Work and communicate well with the entire Point Lookout team, visitors and co-workers.
• A positive attitude and willingness to work with a diverse population.
• Detail-oriented and dependable
• Respond to guest questions
• Ability to write reports in a clear, concise manner with proper grammar and spelling.
• Excellent communication skills (oral and written). Ability to work with computer systems.
• Coordinate with Point Lookout chefs and food service planners.
• Develop planting schedules, crops rotation plans, document daily work, Project annual budget and farm development needs.
• Manage organic weed and insect control, soil fertility maintenance, and composting systems.
• Work towards achieving MOFGA organic certification in 2013.
• Design and implement systems to efficiently manage labor, expenses and equipment with good problem-solving skills and a positive attitude.
• Comply with all work & food safety requirements, and enforce high quality control standards.
• Train and supervise an assistant grower during peak season.
• Candidate must be comfortable driving trucks and operating farm equipment. A current driver’s license and clean driving record is required.
• Helpful skills include carpentry and small engine maintenance.
• Performs additional duties as assigned by Management to ensure the effective and efficient operation of Point Lookout.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Walking, standing, running, pushing, pulling, bending, stretching, stooping, carrying, and lifting a 50 lbs. minimum.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please email a cover letter and a resume, including 3 references familiar with your past work to email@example.com or apply on line at: