Login | Sign Up
MOFGA Discussion Forums
A garbage-incinerator and toxic-waste landfill may be built in Argyle Maine
Last Post 05 May 2014 10:08 AM by Argyle Acres. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.
Author Messages
Seed
Seed
Argyle Acres

--
29 Mar 2014 04:26 PM  
There is a movement afoot to expand the Orrington garbage-incinerator production, by building a new site for an additional garbage-incinerator and toxic-waste landfill. This new site would be located in Argyle Maine.

We are adjacent land-owners, months ago we were asked to sign a Non-Disclosure contract and they would discuss with us whatever benefits they plan to use to buy-out adjacent land-owners. We have refused to sign such a contract.

They testified at a Greenbush meeting last week that they plan to be hauling in 80 to 100 trucks per day to this site, from out-of-state. A County Commissioner told me today that this is not just a new land-fill, but currently is to be a new incinerator for out-of-state waste too toxic to be buried in other states.

When municipal garbage is burned, the heavy metals become concentrated in the ash, making it extremely toxic.

The proposed landfill site sits alongside the Argyle Bog / Alton Bog, and Birch Stream. The Penobscot River is already known to have toxins in it from dozens of mills that once operated in Maine. Birch Stream is clean though. Once this new landfill begins to leak, it will poison the bogs and Birch Stream, and flow into the Penobscot River, further poisoning everything downstream of us.

Garbage incinerators make toxic smoke. I am a beekeeper, I would have to imagine that municipal waste smoke can not be good for bees. Nor would it be any good for crops that it settles onto.

The next meeting I am aware of for discussion on this is 13 April in Alton at the Happy Acres. You are welcome to attend.

Galen
Argyle Acres

Seed
Seed
Argyle Acres

--
05 May 2014 10:08 AM  
There is to be a meeting for Argyle area residents to discuss this proposed garbage-incinerator, this will be at the Happy Acres dance hall in Alton 6pm Tuesday, May 6.

Everyone is welcome to attend.

Some of us are bringing food.
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.

Active Forums 4.1

Copyright © 2013 Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association Terms Of Use Privacy Statement    Site by Planet Maine