Login | Sign Up
MOFGA Discussion Forums
Rice and Ducks
Last Post 21 Feb 2013 03:19 PM by Ben Rooney. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.
Author Messages
Seed
Seed
Ben Rooney

--
21 Jan 2013 01:01 PM  
This season I am planning on developing some rice paddies. Our soil high in clay so it is great for growing rice. I have read of all the wonderful things that the Akaogi family has done with rice in Vermont, but have not heard of people integrating rice and ducks integration around these parts. I am currently reading a book called "The Power of Duck" which is extremely helpful, though it mentions a variety of duck, Aigamo, which works really well, though I think that it is a more tropical duck. He suggested using native ducks and cross breeding them with a larger more domesticated duck, though not a Muscovy, because they do not like water. Maybe just use mallards, and clip the wings?

Does anyone know anything about rice and duck integration in upper New England or does anyone know of people who are currently growing Rice in Maine?... on a small scale.
Seed
Seed
Sacred Bough Farm

--
21 Jan 2013 06:59 PM  
you may want to check out Whole Systems Design in Vermont. they are doing some really great work with rice, and integrating ducks as well as sheep into their homestead: http://www.wholesystemsdesign.com/what-we-do/

good luck!
Seed
Seed
JackKertesz

--
21 Feb 2013 02:31 PM  
On Tuesday, February 26th there is a evening Panel Discussion on rice growing @ UVM. You can probably source info from the presenters. contact lhill@uvm.edu. Also Roberta Bailey has trialed rice (dryland) for Fedco @ Seven Tree Farm in Vassalboro. Roberta@fedcoseeds.com
Seed
Seed
JackKertesz

--
21 Feb 2013 02:31 PM  
On Tuesday, February 26th there is a evening Panel Discussion on rice growing @ UVM. You can probably source info from the presenters. contact lhill@uvm.edu. Also Roberta Bailey has trialed rice (dryland) for Fedco @ Seven Tree Farm in Vassalboro. Roberta@fedcoseeds.com
Seed
Seed
Ben Rooney

--
21 Feb 2013 03:19 PM  
Thanks for the help. I actually have been in contact with a few farms in Vermont (Boundbrook farm and Breezymeadows) who are dong flooded paddy rice and they have all been extremely helpful!
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.

Active Forums 4.1

Copyright © 2013 Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association Terms Of Use Privacy Statement    Site by Planet Maine